- Improving Lives Respite Services respects your privacy. We protect your personal information and adhere to all legislative requirements. We do not rent, sell or trade our mailing lists. The information you provide to us will be used to keep you informed about our activities, including programs, services and fundraising, and to issue receipts when applicable. If at any time you wish to stop receiving this information, simply contact us at 866-221-0501
- Defining personal information
- Personal information is defined as any information that can be used to distinguish, identify or contact a specific individual. Exceptions to this are business contact information and certain publicly available information, such as names, addresses and telephone numbers published in telephone directories.
Where an individual uses home contact information as their business contact information, it is considered that the contact information provided is business contact information and is not subject to protection as personal information.
- Privacy Practices
- Personal information gathered by our organization is kept in confidence. Our personnel are authorized to access personal information based only on their need to deal with the information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained. Safeguards are in place to ensure that the information is not disclosed or shared more widely than is necessary to achieve the purpose for which it was gathered. We also take measures to ensure the integrity of this information is maintained and to prevent its being lost or destroyed.
We collect, use and disclose personal information only for purposes that a reasonable person would consider appropriate in light of the circumstances. We routinely offer individuals we deal with the opportunity to opt not to have their information shared for purposes beyond those for which it was explicitly collected.
- How does ILRS use your personal information?
Some of the information ILRS collects is needed in order to satisfy the requirements of the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). There are also circumstances where the use and/or disclosure of personal information is justified or permitted without consent. These circumstances may include where required by law or by order or requirement of a court, administrative agency or other governmental tribunal where ILRS believes, upon reasonable grounds, that it is necessary to protect the rights, privacy, safety or property of an identifiable person or group where the information is public
- Retention of personal information
- ILRS keeps personal information only if it is required for the reasons it was collected. The length of time we retain information varies, depending on the program, service or event and the nature of the information, for example we keep the information required by the Canada Revenue Agency's rules and regulations for 6 years. The retention period may extend beyond your relationship with us. When your personal information is no longer required for ILRS purposes, the information is either physically destroyed or deleted.
- Website and Electronic Commerce
- We use password protocols, encryption software and a server with firewalls to protect personal and other information we receive, as well as when a donation, product or service is requested and/or paid for online. Our software is routinely updated to maximize protection of such information.
We do track general information on visits to our website to better understand and to improve the information users are accessing. This information may include numbers of visitors to the site and to specific pages, referring websites, length of time on the site and more. No personal information is collected.
- Contact Information
We may also use the information you provide to us in the following ways:
• to assist in the development of new programs, events, and services
• to comply with legal requirements.